Gayton Hall was built in the early nineteenth century for the then MP of Hereford and was a well situated country home, set amongst landscaped gardens and complete with a walled garden. The main elevation was of three bays with a Doric porch, whilst the side elevation was five bays with blank arches to the ground floor as well as a veranda with parapet. The house became part of the Ashburton Estate and was sold by the estate in around 1890 with around 23 acres of the original holding to Vice-Admiral Marshall. Marshall and his wife lived in the property until Marshall’s death in 1955. It was then sold to a Mr. Rennie who owned the house for 2 years to 1957. Under Mr Rennie, the house was substantially demolished and most of the interior features disposed of. The present house (from 1957) was built around a historic core and incorporated parts of the original walling and surface finishes. The current owners have reversed some of the repairs and interventions made in the mid twentieth century with unsympathetic materials. The walled garden, completed in 1837, survived demolition.
Our goal was to gain planning permission for the removal of an unsympathetic garage extension to the house and replace it with a downstairs bedroom and toilet. Given teh Georgian styled façade it was logical to continue the sash windows and emulate the roof to provide an extension that would blend into the proportions and fabric of the building, whilst maintaining that it is a clear latter addition. The extension gained approval in the summer of 2021.
The house is undesignated (not listed) due to the extensive loss from demolition and although hints of the historic landscape remain alongside the walled garden this too is unregistered. Despite this lack of statutory protection, the proposals were designed to take into account the history of the site, we treat all historic buildings with the same care and attention regardless of them being listed or not.